More than two-thirds of waste water was treated last year

Ljubljana – Almost 233 million m3 of waste water was brought into the public sewage system in Slovenia last year, which is up 0.6% from the year before. More than two-thirds of waste water was treated before being released into the environment, the Statistics Office data shows.

Most waste water or almost 55% came from rainwater etc., followed by waste water from households (31%) and other activities, including industry (6%) and agriculture (0.2%).

Households generated 72.4 million m3 of waste water, almost 18% more than in 2020, while the amount of waste rainwater decreased by 3.8% last year.

Almost 161 million m3 of waste water was treated before being released from the public sewage system into the environment, which is 0.9 million m3 more than the year before.

The remaining 72 million m3 or 31% of waste water remained untreated. Almost 98.3% of untreated waste water was discharged into surface water and the remaining 1.7% into ground water and the sea.

Meanwhile, most of the treated waste water (96%) was released into surface water, and the rest into ground water and the sea.