The Slovenia Times

Who Controls Our Daily Lectures?



Media ownership is always a popular subject. Recently the issue came up again as a result of the ownership changes at the second largest Slovenian daily, Dnevnik. The majority owner, publisher DZS, sold its share to the German publishing house Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung - WAZ, which now controls 51% of the newspaper. Media ownership in Slovenia seems to be fairly diffuse at first glance. But a more thorough look reveals that a small number of people control the capital and also the management. Foreign parties are becoming increasingly more present in the media market. The WAZ presence in other countries makes one suspect that the German publisher wants to control more media, not just Dnevnik. The next step of WAZ involved Intereuropa, which owns 10% of the regional daily Primorske novice. Intereuropa is in contact with WAZ for logistics services, but denies any talk about selling its share of the newspaper. "Primorske novice will stay in West Slovenian hands," says the representative of one of the major owners. The next question about WAZ is connected with editor and journalist autonomy. In print and electronic media controlled by WAZ the autonomy of the journalists and editors is respected, because WAZ does not interfere with the media content. Journalists Unions in Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina and Serbia are quite happy with the working conditions in WAZ-owned media. Such conditions seem to be favourable in Slovenia, especially at the moment, but let's see what happens. WAZ, together with DZS, has co-founded a joint venture company with each of them controlling half of the new company. The company will be buying shares of the Dnevnik newspaper, in part from DZS and in part from other owners - KAD or the Austrian publisher Styria. DZS will gradually withdraw from Dnevnik. Other media Let's take a look at the largest Slovenian newspaper houses. Three years ago the biggest share of Delo was obtained by Pivovarna Lasko, who bought 25% of the paper's shares from Krekova druzba. Now Delo ownership is divided between Pivovarna Lasko (25%), KD holding (20%), Sod (12%), Infond ID (9%), Maksima ID (8%), Kad (6%) and small shareholders (20%). Among the most influential newspapers, there is also Vecer. Its ownership is shared between Infond holding (36.5%), Delo (20%), Infond ID (15%), Sod (10%), Leykam Tiskarna (7%), Delo Prodaja (7%) and small shareholders (4.4%). Foreign parties have become owners of the following publications: Finance, Burda and three free publications. Finance is now owned by the Swedish media group Bonnier Business Press, which holds 99.6% of the company. The remaining 0.4% belongs to a few small shareholders. Until some time ago, 60% of Burda Slovenija was owned by Hubert Burda Media - Burda Eastern Europe, one of the largest and most influential media - publishing houses in Germany and on the international scene. They sold their share to the German magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. The other 40 % of shares are held by small shareholders. In addition to Burda, Delo Revije is another large magazine publisher in Slovenia, whose ownership structure consists of Delo TCR (20%), Alpress (20%), Delo prodaja (11%) and small shareholders (49%). Free editions The two papers which are distributed for free, Zurnal and Dobro jutro, are controlled by Austrian capital. The sole proprietor of the Zurnal is the Austrian media house Styria Wochenzeitungs & Beteilingungs - GmbH, which is also the co-owner of Dnevnik. Dobro jutro is owned by the print shop Leykam Tiskarna, which is also part owner of Vecer. Another free magazine in the hands of foreign capital is the City magazine, owned by the Belgian publishing house Roularta Media Group.


More from Nekategorizirano