The Slovenia Times

Slovenia receives EUR 8.8m from rescEU mechanism


Ljubljana - Slovenia has successfully applied to a call for applications published by the European Commission to help countries tackle the coronavirus epidemic. The country will receive EUR 8.8 million from the rescEU mechanism, while another EUR 1.8 million will have to be secured from the budget as part of the project, the government said late on Wednesday.

The government got acquainted with the information at yesterday's session.

The EU-funded rescuEU mechanism is aimed at providing strategic supplies of medical and personal protective equipment for fighting serious cross-border medical threats that will add to the national supplies and the supplies of the EU civil protection services.

In Slovenia, the value of the project of setting up and using the capabilities has been estimated at EUR 10.6 million. The country has requested for EUR 8.8 million in EU funds.

The government said that Slovenia must temporary cover the costs of EUR 1.8 million in 2021, while the EU would contribute the remaining 80%. The EU will chip in the remaining 20% when the project is successfully concluded, expectedly in 2026.

Slovenia will cover the value added tax and contribute another EUR 25,000 for the work of members of civil protection.

The warehouse for protective equipment must be operative within five months since the signing of the agreement, so it is crucial that the project-related activities start immediately, the government said.

The signing of the agreement is scheduled for 20 December and the European Commission is expected to transfer 80% of the money, meaning some EUR 7 million, by the end of the year.

The setting up of rescEU capabilities includes the purchase of personal protective equipment, its proper storage and securing availability of the equipment to other EU countries, including by means of own transport, for at least five years since the signing of the contract with the Commission.

Slovenia is expected to take part in the project between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2025.


More from Politics