The Slovenia Times

Charity all-star Goran Dragić farewell game

Aug 24

Having retired from active basketball after 15 seasons in the NBA, Goran Dragić will host a charity farewell game at Stožice Arena on 24 August featuring NBA stars Luka Dončić, Nikola Jokić, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Steve Nash and Jimmy Butler.

Also expected to be in Ljubljana for the event, dubbed Night of the Dragon, are Bogdan Bogdanović, Luis Scola, Kevin McHale, Jeff Hornacek, Marc Gasol and the entire Slovenian national whom Dragić captained to the title of Eurobasket champions in 2017.

The proceeds from ticket sales and the money raised at a gala dinner the night before the game will go for charity. The Slovenian youth charity Association of Friends of the Youth will receive 80% of the funds raised and the Goran Dragić Foundation the remaining 20%.

"First of all, I want us to raise as much money as possible for charities, and secondly, I want this two-day event to be a great memory for everyone. I'd like to present Ljubljana and Slovenia in the best possible light to the guests from the US so that they take home unforgettable memories," said Dragić in announcing the fundraising event.

Tickets for the match went on sale on 15 February but all of the nearly 10,000 available were sold out within ten minutes.

The halftime show will feature some 200 performers, including Joker Out, the hugely popular band that represented Slovenia at the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest.

According to the event's organiser Matej Avanzo, the game will be only the fifth event globally to be held in "the court of the future" where the wooden floor will be replaced by LED glass technology.

The event will be broadcast live by TV Slovenia.